Wednesday, February 25, 2009

YES! Arrested Development Movie in 2010!

Arrested Development is a comedy that ran on Fox for three seasons from 2003 to 2006. It is my opinion, and an opinion shared by millions of fans, that Arrested Development is the best series ever to be canceled. The series finale hinted at the possibility of a movie continuation of the story, and fans have been clamoring for one ever since.



Early last year, rumors of a movie gained some credibility when stars Jeffrey Tambor, Jason Bateman, and Will Arnett confirmed that they had spoken to the show's creator Mitchell Hurwitz and were in the planning stages for the film. Since then the entire cast has expressed their interest in reprising their roles, with one major exception: Michael Cera.

According to Wikipedia's Arrested Development entry, in a National Post article from August 29, 2008, Michael Cera was quoted as saying he hasn't heard anything about an Arrested Development movie and is not interested in making one, remarking, "I don't think I would want to see a movie of the series if I was a fan, anyway." "And I don't really see a need for it if you can get the three seasons on DVD."

A few weeks later in a SpoutBlog interview Cera elaborated, "We’re not in production and I haven’t read a script. I know Jason (Bateman) wants to, and I don’t know if Mitch (Hurwitz) wants to. But, I would only want to be a part of it if it was going to be good. Because, it's good to end on a high note, I think, and go out with a bang and leave the winning war. That’s just my instinct. I don’t think it would be worth doing unless it was going to live up to the expectation that might come with it."

Many fans were disappointed with Cera's apparent lack of enthusiasm with the film project. But now for the good news!: E! Online is reporting that Cera is now onboard for the project! What changed? Did pressure from the fans get to him? Was more money offered? Whatever the case, it is great to hear that everyone is now set to get this film made! Shooting is scheduled to start by the end of the year, with the film set to hit theaters sometime in 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment