Friday, April 17, 2009

"Some Like it Hoth" Thoughts and Theories, Part One

Ok, I'll admit it. I kind of over-reacted about last week's episode. I watched it again and the CGI wasn't that bad and it did not feel as rushed as it did the first time I watched it. That being said, this week's episode, "Some Like it Hoth" more than made up for any disappointment I may have felt about last week's ep.

"Some Like it Hoth" is the first fully-centric episode for Miles (he had a small flashback scene in last season's second episode "Confirmed Dead"). The greatest part of this episode was the odd-couple pairing of Hurley and Miles.


Miles (image created by Ign.com)

Jamming in the DHARMA van, listening to Captain & Tennille's "Love Will Keep Us Together," Hurley and Miles share some memorable lines, such as when they talk about how they can both communicate with the dead and Hurley tells Miles that, "You're just jealous my powers are better than yours."

Or, when refering to Dr. Chang, Hurley says, "Dude, that guy's a total douche." and Miles responds with, "That douche is my dad." Yeah, that was a big reveal in this episode, that Dr. Chang and MIles are in fact father and son, even though many fans already suspected this.


Father and Son

Miles' flashback scenes were not very memorable, with the exception of one. After he is approached by Naomi to be a part of Widmore's freighter team, Miles is captured by Bram (who will later become an island survivor of Ajira 316). Bram asks him the question that Illana asked Frank in last week's episode: "What lies in the shadow of the statue?" Miles, of course, has no idea what this means... and neither do I! But I do have a theory that Illana and Bram are part of the newly-reinstated DHARMA Initiative.

It was great to see the early stages of construction on the Swan station in this episode. The only thing that bothered me about this scene, however, was when the Swan worker moved the hatch lid, it reacted like a piece of flimsy fiberglass. In season two, the hatch lid was so heavy that it took two people to move it. It's not that big of a deal, it just bugged me.


The Swan Station, Pre-Incident

I'll have more to say about this episode in my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment