Thursday, April 2, 2009

"Whatever Happened, Happened" Thoughts and Theories

I do not have a lot to say about this week's episode of That 70's Show, er, um LOST, I mean. Critics and fans are raving about it, but I thought that it was the season's weakest episode yet. Granted this week has been a hectic mess of stress for me, so I may not have been in the right frame of mind at the time I watched the episode. That being said, I watched the episode again and, although I liked it better, my opinion did not change much.

This Kate-centric episode highly redeemed her character. We found out that Kate didn't come back to the island to sleep around with Sawyer again (as last week's episode hinted at), but rather to find Claire so that Aaron can be reunited with his mother.



Evangeline Lilly's performance this week was excellent, even Emmy-worthy, in my opinion.

The episode's best scenes were the interactions between Hurley and Miles. As Hurley wondered if he would start to disappear like in Back to the Future and Miles called him an idiot, they were, in effect, speaking for the fans and our wild time-travel theories.



The last 1977 scene of the episode amazed most fans, but felt like a cop-out to me. Kate and Sawyer turned over a near-death young Ben to Richard Alpert, who said that what he is going to do to help save his life will cause Ben to lose his memory, along with his innocence. I sure hope that the writers can convince me that there is a good reason behind this, other than convenience that is.

Richard is last seen taking Ben into the temple. From the looks of it, we will not have to wait long to find out what happens in the temple because from the promo for next week's episode, it looks to be a Ben-centric episode.

The episode ended with a great scene of present-day Ben waking up to see the man he murdered, alive and well, sitting next to his bed.


"Welcome back to the land of the living" John Lock says to a shocked Ben Linus.

For more information on this episode, including a full synopsis and transcript, visit its Lostpedia page here.

Next week's episode is titled "Dead is Dead." Check it out Wednesday at 9/8c on ABC.

No comments:

Post a Comment